Friday, March 4, 2011

Violin Making 4

Things have started to slow down a little as the shop has been very busy (which is good!). However since my last post I have been able to begin work in earnest on the scroll. I cut out a template from a sheet of acrylic. The wood I received is just wide enough for the scroll but not wide enough to allow me to square the block (it comes in a sort of wedge shape). So I glued some remporary pieces of poplar on the sides and then squared it off on the table saw. Then I traced the template and cut out the scroll on the band saw. I was able to clean up the saw marks back to the line using a combination of disc sander, knife, and scraper. I have begun cutting and chiseling the scroll down to finish dimensions and I will post pictures of this when I get further along.


 Here's the template. It is clear, but hopefully you can see it.
 This is some idiot violin maker holding a clamped block. Can I just say...thank god for Quick Grip Clamps!
The scroll after being cut on the band saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment