Friday, March 4, 2011

Violin Making 5

Carrying on with the scroll I sawed releif cuts in the side of the pegbox and chiseled the wood down to my lines on each side. Then I repeated the process on the other side. Next I sawed relief cuts around the first turn of the scroll. The angle I sawed at was very important here because I needed to avoid undercutiing the sides of the scroll. Again I chiseled the wood down trying not to stab the chisel into the sides of the scroll. Getting neat and even corners here is quite a challenge. Perhaps a specially designed scraper will get into the corners and clean them nicely. Then again looking more closely at other violins I see that I may have them pretty good already. Also today I ordered the part to fix my broken rib iron so hopefully I can begin bending the ribs soon! 


 sawing relief cuts into the sides of the pegbox.
 sawing the first turn.
the first turn all chiseled down.

No comments:

Post a Comment